Image via Wikipedia
Tip: Read through this recipe prior to starting it. This way you will know what you need ahead of time and a few time saving steps can be found as well.
4 ½ cups flour
1 tablespoon ginger ground
2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon allspice ground
½ teaspoon salt
2 sticks of butter/margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup light molasses
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Additional all-purpose flour
dried cranberries, currents or raisins
Red hot candies
Greased or parchment paper lined Baking sheets
Electric mixer with large and small bowls
Step by step instructions:
- Lightly grease baking sheets with a paper towel dipped in shortening.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice and salt in a small mixer bowl. Stir with a spoon and set aside.
- Combine butter or margarine and sugar in the large mixer bowl. Beat on medium speed until well mixed, stopping the mixer and scraping the bowl several times. Add eggs, molasses and vinegar. Beat until well mixed, scraping the bowl several times.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until well mixed, scraping the bowl several times.
- Cover the bowl of dough with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours (or place in the freezer for 1 hour-remember to set a timer).
- When the dough has been chilled, turn on the oven to 350°.
- Divide the dough into four parts (keep each part in the refrigerator until ready to roll it out). Place one part of the dough on a lightly-floured surface. Rub flour on the rolling pin and roll the dough to about 1/4 -inch thickness. Dip cutters in flour and cut cookies. Lift cookies with a pancake turner to baking sheets, placing cookies 1 inch apart
- Press currants or raisins into gingerbread men for eyes, nose and mouth. Use red hot candies for buttons.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies feel slightly firm to the touch. Lift with a pancake turner to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place.