English: A bowl of pumpkin cream soup 中文(繁體)â€¬: 一碗南瓜奶油湯 Español: Un ramequin con sopa de calabaza cremosa. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
If you're trying to think of some recipes for the cooler Fall weather that will be coming, you've got to try your hand at making homemade pumpkin soup. Tasty, satisfying and don't forget good for you, this recipe will probably make it to your Thanksgiving table as well. Here's the recipe below.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of Nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups pureed cooked pumpkin
- ½ cup cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
The first thing you'll want to do is know how to correctly bake fresh pumpkin. While you can use the canned variety, fresh pumpkin is easy to make and tastes better. Use a glass baking dish or large roasting pan if you have to, but be aware you make have to adjust and lengthen your cooking time.
- Cut open pumpkin and remove all the seeds. You can cut the pumpkin into wedges and place face down in a baking dish with about 1 inch of water. Bake at 450 anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. It will depend on your stove. The pumpkin is done when you can pierce the skin with a fork.
- Scoop cooked pumpkin from it's skin and place into a bowl and puree until it is creamy. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter and lightly brown flour. Add in chicken broth and stir until it is thickened. Add in pureed pumpkin and continue to heat through. Add seasonings, cheese and bacon pieces or bits.
- Serve with toasted Rye bread, and hot spiced tea for a warm and satisfying dinner.